Friday, June 22, 2012

The Benefits of Lemons...


Hello All! Not many takers on the contest so far? What's up with that?! Free stuff - who passes that up?! Come on all, let's get more pro-active here!!! <3

Let me start this post off by saying...T.G.I.F. It has been a very long, hot week. I am certainly looking forward to a weekend off to sleep in, relax, make good food, and exercise.

The picture I have above is a list of "negative calorie" foods. Negative calories mean that your body actually burns more calories digesting the food than the food is actually worth.

Have I told you guys how in love I am with lemon water? I drink (almost) a liter of it every day. I squeeze about one whole lemon into each tall glass of water that I have. I actually don't even care for lemons - not a fan of sour foods at all, but lemon has many benefits that are too good to pass up! I've been drinking lemon water for about 2 months now and have become accustomed to the taste. Regular water now actually tastes odd to me! Here are some benefits that you may have not known about lemons:

- Treats Acne 
Drinking lemon water, along with rubbing lemon juice on your irritated skin at night can help to prevent and eliminate acne. I've had acne problems since middle school - I have very sensitive and oily skin, but since I have been drinking lemon water (I occasionally put it on my skin), I haven't experienced any breakouts - at all. The citric acid (which is found in most acne cremes/washes) from the lemons help to treat your acne. Drinking lemon water is less effective in treating acne than applying lemon juice directly to your skin, but I have found that simply drinking lemon water has helped immensely. 

I found this lemon mix acne treatment on webmd.com:
· With your finger or a cotton ball, apply fresh lemon juice on acne and leave it overnight. Wash with water the following morning. There may be an uncomfortable sensation of burning at first, but it will soon disappear.
· Mix one part of freshly squeezed lemon juice with an equal part of rose or honey water. Put the mixture on affected areas for at least half an hour. Wash it afterwards with water. This application should be repeated twice daily, ideally in the morning and the evening.

                           -Promotes Digestion / Detoxification
Lemon juice works with the body as a natural detoxifier and digestive aid. Because lemon helps with digestion, the stomach becomes less bloated, gassy or inflamed, which allows your body to, in turn, burn fat at a faster rate. Apart from helping with digestion, lemons help to increase metabolism, which also helps with burning fat quicker. Many people think that lemons burn fat. Lemons, alone, do not burn fat, that is a big misconception. They do, however, work along with the body by aiding in digestion and decreasing inflammation in the stomach as well as increase your metabolism, which in the end, allows your body to burn more fat. 

-Fights Fatigue
Lemon juice helps to stimulate brain activity, making you feel more awake and alert. Take a few drops of lemon water if you are feeling fatigued to help "wake up" your brain. The smell of lemons also helps to stimulate brain activity. Many people use lemon oils in their homes or offices to help fight fatigue and feel more refreshed. 

-Gives you that "Good, Clean Feeling"
Lemon juice helps fight bad breath and mask odors from cigarettes, alcohol, onions, etc. Washing your mouth out with lemon water mid-day helps refresh your mouth, and activates your salivary glands to get rid of any "stale" breath. 

-Helps with Insomnia
I found this off webmd.com:
Several studies have found that lemon balm combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, and chamomile) helps reduce anxiety and promote sleep. In a recent double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 18 healthy volunteers received two separate single doses of a standardized lemon balm extract (300 mg and 600 mg) or placebo for 7 days. The 600 mg dose of lemon balm increased mood and significantly increased calmness and alertness
^I did not know this before, and will deffinatly have to give it a try. I use melatonin and valerian root (as you can see from my previous posts) usually to help with my sleep, but I'm curious to see how the lemon works!


Does anybody else have any knowledge about lemon water? As I said, I'm obsessed with it and drink it all the time. How about you guys? 

This picture is of how many lemons my waitress gave me one night when I went out to dinner (bless her!) recently. Usually when I ask for EXTRA, EXTRA lemons, waiters/tresses look at me oddly and put ONE extra slice on the rim of my cup. Seriously?!! BIGGEST PET PEEVE! JUST GIMMIE SOME LEMONS WHEN I ASK!!!! This waitress, however, heard me loud and clear (she also got a nice tip from me:) )!! I was so happy, I just had to take a picture :) 

P.S. - all these lemons went into ONE glass of water (ha ha). I know I go a little overkill sometimes, but hey! A girl's gotta have her some lemons!! Am I right?! 

How many of you love your lemon water or lemon remedies?!! 

Remember: there is a CONTEST going on right now (previous to this post) and all of you guys should definitely do it! Even if you don't win (which, the chances of you winning are actually pretty likely considering how many participants I have right now - 1 - lol) - you're helping to promote my site (something I deff need right now!) !!! And who doesn't wanna help their favorite Fitness Felicia ?? Hmmm?! 


Have a wonderful weekend everyone!! 

Talk soon,
Fitness Felicia <3 

1 comment: