Wednesday, June 27, 2012

HIIT Training To Music

Hello Everyone! How is everyone's week going thus far? Mine's been flying by - been quite busy, as usual. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get to the gym at 5 AM to get my workout in before work at 7:00 (dreading it already). My week has been so busy that I've been pretty drained by the end of the day and haven't been too motivated in the gym. Hopefully by switching it up and working out first thing in the morning I'll feel a little more energetic. We'll see how that goes....!

Anyways, I've come up with a new HIIT idea that I want to fill you guys in on :)

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training - is a type of cardio training that alternates the intensity at which you are running/walking/jogging. For example: sprint for 1 minute and speed walk for 2 minutes to recover. HIIT training is great for burning fat and also helps cardio performance.

As someone who truly hates cardio, I'm always looking for new ways to make it more interesting, and I think I've come up with a pretty good one! Intrigued?! Read further.....


I'm pretty sure that I came up with this idea all by myself, I've never read about it anywhere or heard anyone talking about it..but maybe someone out there has thought of it before I have. As of now, though, Fitness Felicia is taking all the cred ;) Okay, so you're dying to know what genius idea I've come up with, right? Okay, okay, I'll fill you in....

I've come up with the idea of HIIT to music! Not just listening to music while you do your cardio, but using the music as your interval timer. For example, if you are doing a jog/sprint HIIT workout, and are listening to music, jog during the song, but once the chorus starts, sprint until it is finished. The chorus of a song usually lasts about 30 seconds, and repeats 3 or 4 times in a song. A song normally lasts around 4 minutes, making your final sprint time last about 2 minutes (if the chorus were to repeat 4 times for the duration of the song), and your jog time would be the remainder of the song. 

Sprinting to the chorus, rather than watching the clock for when you should start sprinting/jogging again, makes your HIIT workout much less boring. You're also focusing on the music much more, rather than say, how tired you are, how much you hate running, etc. And the chorus is normally the most high-tempo part of the song, which should really help to motivate you and get you pumped up for your sprint! 


I don't know, I really liked this concept. I did it yesterday during my HIIT workout, and it really helped to take my mind off how much I hated running and allowed me to concentrate on something other than how much time I had left. I've told a few people about this idea and they all really liked it. For people who really hate cardio, this is a great way to get motivated during your cardio workout and get your mind off everything else. Pick some great music that you enjoy running to, pop in your headphones, and KILL IT.


I was going to take a day off from the gym today because of how tired I've been, but writing about all this gets me really pumped up to workout, so I'm going to go do just that :) 
I'll be doing this again in the gym today guys! Try it and let me know what you think! Do you have any helpful tips or tricks that you do when you get your cardio in?? I'd love to hear :) 


x's and o's 
Fitness Felicia 


PS remember about the contest that's going on right now, everyone! I don't want anyone missing out! At this rate, everyone that signs up for the contest will be winning something at least for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place prizes. So get to it! (The contest post is a few posts back)

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I just made a new cardio playlist today for my blog and now I can use it with your HIIT idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked it! I did my cardio today with this new method and I love doing it, it makes time fly by.
      Fitness Felicia

      Delete