Sunday, July 8, 2012

German Volume Training

Hello all! Where have you guys been?! Haven't heard from you in awhile! ...oh wait, that's my fault....(silly me) I've been neglecting my blog lately, so sorry :( I've had the past week off and have been spending it away from the computer screen and out and about! But I'm back :) I had an awesome, relaxing week off - got lots accomplished and caught up on all the sleep I've been deprived of lately!!

I've been feeling pretty good lately, the puppy is getting along pretty well with Jackson, and her potty training is coming along. I think Pickle is going to be a great dog. She is so friendly and loving and loves playing with anyone or thing. I love watching her and Jackson play.

I'm doing a post tonight as a response to my poll - I'll be doing a post on fitness tonight. I wanted to talk about German Volume Training. I've been trying to pack on some more muscle before I have to start cutting for my competition that's coming up in a few months. I've been using German Volume Training the past week as a new method to pack on muscle.

German Volume Training:
So what GVT essentially is, is completing 10 sets of 10 reps with the same weight for each exercise. Do just one exercise for each muscle group. Make sure that you are choosing an exercise that is targeting a major muscle group so you see the best results from the GVT. To keep your heart rate up during training, rest only for one minute to a minute and a half in between every set for each exercise. I've been switching it up for each exercise; I'll rest one minute for one exercise, a minute and a half for a different exercise, just to give myself a little bit more of a break. Because you'll be doing so many sets and reps, keep the weight fairly low - about 60-65% of your 1 rep max. GVT will greatly increase LEAN muscle because it's higher intensity. In a nutshell, you will be BURNING fat and GROWING larger, LEANER muscles. Unbelievable results have been seen using GVT, it's definitely something to try if you are looking to switch up your workout and have never tried GVT before.


Here's an example of a workout using GVT for each muscle group: 

CHEST: 
Bench Press - 10 R 10 S -  60 Sec Rest between sets 
Decline Chest Press - 10 R 10 S - 90 sec rest between sets 
Dumbbell Flies - 10 R 10 S - 60 Sec Rest between sets

BACK:
Lat Pull Down - 10 R 10 S - 60 Sec Rest
Bent-over Row - 10 R 10 S - 90 Sec Rest

SHOULDERS: 
Arnold Press - 10 R 10 S - 60 Sec Rest

LOWER BODY:
Barbell Squats - 10 R 10 S - 90 Sec Rest
Dead Lift - 10 R 10 S - 60 Sec Rest 
Seated Calf Raises - 10 R 10 S - 90 Sec rest 

TRICEPS:
Cable Rope Pulldown - 10 R 10 S - 90 Sec Rest

BICEPS: 
Dumbbell Curls - 10 R 10 S - 90 Sec Rest

I would advise combining back and biceps together on one day and triceps and shoulders together on another day. That would make this sample workout a 4 day split. Add a day of cardio and abs in there and you'll be golden. If you're going to try GVT for the first time and are a beginner at working out, lower the sets from 10 to 6 and the reps to about 8. Even by lowering the sets and reps, you'll still be giving yourself a killer workout. I wouldn't advise doing GVT for more than 4 or 5 weeks - your body will really need a rest after about 4 or 5 weeks of doing GVT. 

On days that you'll be doing your GVT, make sure you eat a lot of carbs to give yourself energy, and in this summer heat, drink LOTS and LOTS of water. If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Have a protein shake after your workout to see maximum results as well. Eating plenty during weeks that you're doing GVT is ESSENTIAL. You'll be burning LOTS of energy during the training, and your body will need  FUEL. 

Even if you guys didn't want to complete a full 4 weeks of the workout, I would definitely try it for a least a week or two. It will confuse your muscles from your regular workout routine and you'll still see results - that is, if you are eating right all the while! 

Trying GVT will be an awesome way to switch up your normal routine and pack on muscle, FAST! 

Have you guys ever tried/heard of GVT before? How did you like it?! 

Also, REMEMBER - there is a CONTEST going on right now! There's still time to enroll! Check my previous posts for the contest guidelines :) 


xxxxo Fitness Felicia 





6 comments:

  1. I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I just pinned this on my "This Will Hurt" board :)..and my son wanted to know what was wrong with that girls tummy....it's all bumpy?....guess who's Mama doesn't have Abs yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha let me know what you think of the workout!!! I'll keep his comment and you in mind for my next post as inspiration ....I'll be posting all kinds of new ab workouts so keep an eye out!!
      Fitness Felicia

      Delete
  3. .....Would've been nice if u told me u were going to post pictures of me....:)

    ReplyDelete