Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kookin' with Kale

Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses and motivating words yesterday! I really appreciate it :) I'm feeling a lot more motivated today, and am back in action. I took a long walk with Jackson today through some neighborhoods and handed out more personal training flyers. I've probably handed out 100 by now. No calls yet, but I'll keep waiting. All I need is just ONE client, and the flyers will be a success!

I added some new tabs at the top of my page, by the way! One of the tabs is a way you guys can contact me if you have any questions, advice, complaints, requests..etc. You can also find a link on there to follow me on pinterest and twitter. The other new page I created is a "get to know me" page. I just provided answers to some basic questions on there so you guys can get to know a little bit more about me. Let me know if you guys have any other questions for me!

Anywho! I was feeling a bit under the weather today, so I decided to skip the gym. Today would have been shoulders (one of my favorite days). Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling better and can get my sneakers back on and myself back into the gym!

Since I wasn't able to get into the gym today, I gave myself a cooking challenge...actually more like 2 cooking challenges. I've been reading a lot about the vegetable kale lately and have been wanting to try it. Kale is FILLED with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. One cup of kale is only about 35 calories and has 5 grams of fiber. I've never tried kale before, and didn't even know what it looked like (it looks a lot like lettuce, except darker)! Just out of the blue the other day, my mom texted me a new recipe she wanted me to try, "kale chips." What a coincidence!!! It was then that I decided that making kale chips would be my next challenge!

The recipe is quite simple:
1 bunch of kale
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
dash of garlic powder
dash of salt 

KALE

Preheat oven to 350
Wash and dry kale thoroughly
Cut the kale leaves off of the stem part of the kale and tear into bite-sized pieces.
After tearing the leaves, lay out onto a baking tray
Drizzle olive oil, salt, and garlic powder over the kale leaves
Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the leaves start to turn brown around the edges
Cool and enjoy! 


The kale chips were....interesting. I've never tried kale before, so I wasn't even sure what kind of taste or texture to expect from the chips. They were very light and flaky almost. For a snack, these chips are great, but they aren't going to fill you up, that's for sure. I have A LOT of kale left, so I will be trying some other recipes with this veggie. If you like kale, try these chips. They're not "OMG delicious," but they are different for a snack, and extremely healthy and filled with nutrients. 


My next challenge of the day was zucchini and eggplant fries. I'd seen a recipe off pinterest for this snack and decided to give it a go! I've NEVER made eggplant by myself before, so cutting it up was a challenge in itself..I wasn't sure if you had to take out the seeds, or if it needed to be skinned..I was clueless. I basically just started chopping away and chopped the eggplant into a bunch of long, skinny fries. Is that how you cut an eggplant?

The ingredients for this recipe was also simple:
One whole eggplant
One whole zucchini
100% Whole Wheat bread crumbs
3 egg whites 
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder

Cut up the zucchini and eggplant into long, thin "fries"
Dip the fries into the egg whites, and then coat with the bread crumbs
Place out on a baking tray and back at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes (depending on how crunchy you want them)

Unlike the kale chips, these fries turned out "OMG delish!" They were so crunchy and yummy I couldn't stop eating them! These make a great snack or side dish at dinner. So, so yummy and I really recommend you make them. They were quick and easy to make and "OMG SO DELICIOUS!"

Try out these new recipes and let me know what you think!! Back to the gym tomorrow, everyone, and I'll have a new workout challenge ready! 

<3 Fitness Felicia 



3 comments:

  1. I am a HUGGEEEE fan of kale! I found an easier way to purchase it as well because cutting it off those thick bitter stems is a pain in the butt. You can find it in the produce section in a large bag (similar to the ones spinach comes in) its pre-washed and cut and ready to go. I like to eat it raw in salads because it has so many more good for you nutrients than Romaine or Ice Burg lettuce, but cooking with it is awesome too. I put it in eggs, and anywhere you might use spinach. Heres a really great Quinoa and Kale recipe I like to make, try it for dinner sometime its definitely an OMG SO DELICIOUS one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was looking for the big bags of it b/c my mom uses them to make smoothies and things, but I couldn't find any - maybe the grocery store was out. I wasn't really sure what to expect with the taste of the kale, it's different and something I think I just have to get used to. I acutally just made a batch of quinoa yesterday during my cooking spree, so I will try putting some kale into it! I'll let you know how I like it! Thanks for the info!
    Fitness Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i meade that post pretty late and forgot to post the recipe lol i must have already been sleeping http://feastsandfotos.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/quinoa-with-kale-and-walnuts/

    give it a try lol now that you kmnow what it is

    ReplyDelete